It’s been awhile since I managed to bake anything. I absolutely love baking. Unfortunately, with my increasingly busy schedule, it has been practically impossible to fit a baking slot in my weekend routine. So during the Easter holidays, I instantly took the opportunity to bake something that I wanted to make for a long time – the classic puff pastry cheese twists! I was so happy I managed to squeeze that bit of time I had because it was definitely worth it.
Although this savoury delight may look very difficult to make, don’t be deceived by its looks. It’s much easier to make than you think. All you need is a good quality ready rolled puff pastry to do the puff pastry twists (Yes, cheating is allowed!).
If you are ready to impress your friends, family and even yourself with a delicious classic pastry treat, then this recipe is for you. I’ve adapted the recipe to suit my taste.
Recipe for Cheese Twist
3 pieces ready rolled puff pastry sheets, thawed
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp dried oregano
Butter to grease the oven trays
1 egg, beaten (to make the egg wash)
• Pre-heat your oven at 200 C for 10 minutes.
• Grease your oven trays with some butter.
• Place one piece of puff pastry sheet on your oven tray.
• Brush the puff pastry generously with the egg wash.
• Sprinkle the grated Parmesan cheese. Then sprinkle the paprika powder and dried oregano on the cheese.
• Cut the puff pastry sheet into 1-2cm strips. Gently twist the puff pastry sheet.
• Repeat this process for the remaining two puff pastry sheets.
• Bake the twisted puff pastry sheets in the pre-heated oven for around 10-15 minutes, or until the puff pastry is golden brown.
• Serve your cheese straws or twists when they are still hot for best results!
So that’s it! My no-brainer cheese twists recipe. It’s so easy to make and assemble. Serve this at your next party to impress your friends and family.
Do you love eating cheese twists? Or do you like other pastry dishes?