It’s been quite awhile since I made homemade ice cream. Since the weather is getting warmer, I decided to make homemade chocolate chip ice cream to cool me down.
This easy homemade ice cream that I made was a simple vanilla chocolate chip ice cream. While many may think that to make ice cream at home, it is crucial to have an ice cream maker, I admit that I have never used this kitchen gadget before. So, if you have a fear to make ice cream at home without a churner, then be rest assured that your ice cream won’t turn into a disaster. Mine came out perfectly delicious!
Making ice cream can be fun, but rather time consuming. However, the methods to make ice cream can be quite simple. So, if you have a lot of free time to spare during the weekends or holidays, then you might as well cheer yourself up by making some homemade ice cream.
If you are interested to learn how to make chocolate chip ice cream, here is my recipe:-
Recipe for Homemade Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
6 egg yolks
¾ cup sugar
2 cups milk
2 cups heavy cream
1 tbsp vanilla extract
4 oz dark cooking chocolate (chopped)
1) Warm the milk in a small saucepan. Switch off the heat just before it reaches boiling point. Leave the milk to cool down for about 30 minutes.
2) Beat the sugar with the egg yolks till they are light and fluffy.
3) Pour and mix the milk in the sugar and egg yolk mixture.
4) Strain this mixture into a large stainless steel bowl.
5) Bring some water to boil in a small saucepan. Once the water boils, lower the heat so that the water simmers.
6) Place the large stainless steel bowl (containing the custard mixture) on top of the saucepan with simmering water. Stir occasionally until the custard coats the back of a wooden spoon. Don’t let your bowl touch the water, as the mixture will overcook.
7) Once the custard is done, remove from the heat and leave it to cool completely. Once it is cool, add vanilla extract.
8) In a separate bowl, beat the heavy cream until stiff peak forms.
9) Fold the cream into the cooled custard.
10) After this, fold in the chopped cooking chocolate.
11) Freeze this mixture for two hours.
12) After this, beat the half frozen mixture until it is smooth.
13) Freeze completely overnight.
14) Before serving, leave the ice cream at room temperature for awhile until it is soft enough for scooping. Enjoy!
So that’s it – my recipe for the ultimate homemade chocolate chip ice cream. If you enjoyed trying this recipe and would like to try your hands at making another type of ice cream, you may be interested in checking out my rum raisin ice cream recipe too!
Do you fancy eating homemade chocolate chip ice cream? What are the other favourite types of ice creams that you love to eat?